Monday, May 11, 2009

Here a Zuke, There a Zuke, Everywhere a Zuke Zuke

Saturday, Kaity and I met my girlfriends, Kim and Georgia, at the Windsor Zucchini Festival. Every year, I say I'm going to go and, every year, we don't. Well, we finally made it this year and it was a blast! The zucchini festival is held in support of the Windsor Volunteer Fire Department. And, I don't think any zucchini is (or ever was) grown commercially in Windsor. Windsor is known for blueberries. But, it still makes for a fun festival. They had a great kids area, live band, arts and crafts, lots and lots of zucchini foods and even a beauty pageant.

We started off watching the pageant. It was pretty disorganized, but still fun. They crowned a Duke of Zuke and a Zuqueeni. Next year, I'm entering Kaity.

Since it was just Kaity and the girls, she got to do some fun stuff like ride the pony. Farm Girl wouldn't ride without me walking next to her. Some farm girl she is. I did buy her a pink cowgirl hat. She's always borrowing Will's so I figured it was time for her own.


Georgia and the Zuke Buggy.


Kim and Kaity dancing to the band.


I had Zucchini Honey ice cream. Kaity had strawberry (it's pink).


Kim, Kaity and I and the balloon Kaity HAD to have.


She loved the wind chimes.


One of the best parts of the Zuke Fest was the carvings and creations. Kaity and Georgia were both amazed by them. These zukes are tangoing.


The "AquaZuke"


Zucchini Island with an alligator, turtle and more!




It was a lot of fun and we might even go again next year. Next weekend is the Newberry Watermelon Festival (always a good time - watermelon eating contest, seed spitting, pageant, and rodeo) and the first Doc Hollywood Days in Micanopy. I think we'll be at the Doc Hollywood Days since Will wants to ride the 4-H float.

I love this time of year. There seems to be a food-related festival every weekend. It's great.

No comments:

 

Out on Wacahoota Road | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates